Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 36

Thread: Woodstock Altecs.....

  1. #21
    Senior Hostboard Member Panomaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 25th, 2006
    Posts
    1,811
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Woodstock Altecs.....

    Ah the Leslie.... Ah the Hammond B3.....

    Thank you professor Doppler.

  2. #22
    Senior Hostboard Member mah's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 28th, 2008
    Posts
    2,003
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Wink Re: Woodstock Altecs.....

    I wouldn't be embarassed about liking a clear plexiglass Leslie.

  3. #23
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Re: Woodstock Altecs.....

    Quote Originally Posted by bowtie427ss View Post
    ........the clear plexiglass leslie..........
    Not familiar with the album, but assume you're referring to this one: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ie_Speaker.jpg

    Henricksen's article: "Unearthing The Mysteries of the Leslie Cabinet"

    GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

  4. #24
    Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2006
    Location
    Rural NY
    Posts
    3,901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Re: Woodstock Altecs.....

    Many thanks for posting that GM!

    I'm not 100% sure that's "the one", if not, it's certainly a close enough facsimile for our purposes here.

    EDIT: Appears GM is, well, as we've come to expect, spot on!

    Sadly, when i try to capture a screenshot i just get a black blank screen.

    I'm far from the worlds biggest Prince fan, but the DVD is worth watching for the "show".

    He also has a very cool custom cased grand piano with a motorized lid, lots of eye candy for the gear head.
    Not all vegetables make good leaders.

  5. #25
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Woodstock Altecs.....


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Re: Woodstock Altecs.....

    I feel I would be remiss in my duties when the Leslie is mentioned not to bring up Jon Lord
    YouTube- Deep Purple - Jon Lord Solo - Lazy Medley - California Jam

    Jon Lord – The Official Website

    Worked an outdoor rock row in NC where they played, was working for another company not my own. Circa 74 ish. I have to be honest, could have been 75. but I don't think so.
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

  6. #26
    HB Super Moderator
    Woodstock Altecs.....


    Altec Best's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2008
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    4,257
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

    Re: Woodstock Altecs.....

    Has anyone listened to a Leslie up close and personal.I'm always interested in hearing different speakers and curious if anyone has heard and can descibe the sound of one or compare to another.And what does the spinning of the speaker acomplish just curious as I never seen or heard one.

  7. #27
    Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2006
    Location
    Rural NY
    Posts
    3,901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Re: Woodstock Altecs.....

    And what does the spinning of the speaker acomplish just curious as I never seen or heard one.
    in a word, TREMELO, fast or slow, and with some models anything inbetween too.

    As for the sound, well the leslie is only part of the equation. You also need the percussive Hammond with it's variable attack and decay, and tonewheel magic to complete the set.

    In addition to OG's citations, if i were to try to demonstrate the Hammond/Leslie sound via popular recordings, i'd cue up some Steppenwolf and Booker T and the MG's for you. The opening to Santana's "Hope You're Feeling Better" is also a nice grungy example.

    For me, the growl of a well maintained Hammond and Leslie can be pretty intoxicating.

    On the stage and in the studio i believe they're still pretty much industry standard.

    Damn! OG had to post that, now i must go power up the toys in the basement and assault the neighbors with some "Machine Head" (Lazy is not only my theme song, but possibly my very favorite RnR song ever! and it should only ever be played at maximum system gain)
    Not all vegetables make good leaders.

  8. #28
    HB Super Moderator
    Woodstock Altecs.....


    Altec Best's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2008
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    4,257
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

    Re: Woodstock Altecs.....

    Quote Originally Posted by bowtie427ss View Post
    , now i must go power up the toys in the basement and assault the neighbors with some "Machine Head" (Lazy is not only my theme song, but possibly my very favorite RnR song ever! and it should only ever be played at maximum system gain)
    I have some good memeroies of Deep Purple back in 82 when I got my VOH's set up in my car a friend of mine and I just got done installing everything whole set up.And first song we played was "Space Truckin" the bass the keyboards to the beginning of that tune we just looked at each other and said OMG and realized what I had there the sound was incredible at full power.So now when I hear that tune or Deep P I always think about that moment.

  9. #29
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Re: Woodstock Altecs.....

    Quote Originally Posted by Altec Best View Post
    Has anyone listened to a Leslie up close and personal.

    And what does the spinning of the speaker acomplish just curious as I never seen or heard one.
    Fortunately, too many to recall : File:LeslieCabinetSlowFastSlow.ogg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

  10. #30
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Re: Woodstock Altecs.....

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Guy View Post
    Circa 74 ish. I have to be honest, could have been 75. but I don't think so.
    Don't recall the exact year for sure, though based on who I took to Deep Purple's concert as part of the 'Saving the Fox' campaign it could be '75 if it was part of the same tour and it didn't span the two years.

    Regardless, it was freaking awesome, though they kept ramping up the power until for the finale we had to make a hasty retreat to listen through the doorway when my Radioshack SLM began peaking at 120+ dB. I have my limits. Later, some were claiming 140+ dB at the end, but if it did it was strictly an ultra-fast transient IMO since the finale's crescendo wasn't as loud overall to us through the doorway than when we were in the theater proper.

    GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.